Thursday, June 25, 2009

Back in the saddle again

After a delayed flight (we were supposed to head home on Friday, but O'Hare was having terrible storms, so our flight was delayed until Saturday, going through Atlanta, with a 3 hr layover...ugh), Andrew and I arrived in Chicago Saturday night, retrieved our 2 happy oldest (ok, so only Kayla was thrilled to see us, Timothy would have been happy to stay in Chicago), thanked Matthew and Bridget (Andrew's brother & sister-in-law) for helping to watch our kids for the week and drove as quickly as we legally could so I could see my 2 youngest before their bedtime. They were very excited to see us - and very wet - we arrived during bath time. We thanked Andrew's mom and dad for watching our kids the past week and then got back to our soaked, elated children. Lucas was a bit emotional as he told me, "Mom, you wu gone fo like 2,000 days." When I replied that it was really more like a week, he responded, "Well, it felt like fo-evu." He then put his wet hands on my cheeks and very seriously said, "Don't evu do that to me again."

The beginning of the week was a complete blur w/ lots of laundry (thank you Bridget and Mom Rassi for the laundry you did, it was such a blessing!!), T-ball, kickball and swimming lessons. By Wednesday I was starting to feel like life was starting to settle and then, as I was discussing supper plans with Andrew - a screaming Lucas came running to the back door. I looked out, saw lots of blood running down his leg, hung up on Andrew, grabbed Lucas, told Timothy to call Andrew back and tell him to come home ASAP (Alyssa was still sleeping) and drove pel-mel to the Dr. office. And let me say, Lucas was incredibly brave. Not a tear from the time I put him in the van. Two layers of many, MANY stitches later (I think even the doctor lost count - the gash was a couple inches long and down to the bone), we arrived back home with instructions to keep him as quiet as we can (hah!) for the next couple days so he doesn't open it back up again.

Yep, I'm home.

Whoopi-ty-aye-oh
Rockin' to and fro
Back in the saddle again
Whoopi-ty-aye-yay
I go my way
Back in the saddle again

2 comments:

  1. What in the world happened to Lucas??? And what a cute story about him missing you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lucas was playing in our little pool and decided he wanted a frisbee out of the shed. The frisbee was up on a shelf so he got out a little chair to reach it and his wet little feet slipped and he went down. He said it happened so fast that he doesn't know what he fell on, but since there are only toys over there, my best guess is Lucas fell against the edge of a scooter. The absolutely adorable thing is that he took the time to put the chair away before he came running to get me.

    ReplyDelete