Saturday, August 31, 2013

Hong Kong Day 2–Amazing City

First I have to say that I am so thankful I got Windows Live Writer on this laptop before we left home.  I cannot, for the life of me, figure out how to make web pages show up completely in English.  Example – when I open up this blog online, my words are in English, but the “sign in,” etc type stuff that is at the top of the blogspot screen is in putonghua…not so helpful.  I have tried several tricks to see the stuff in English, but to no avail.  Just another part of the experience :).

Today is Saturday.  We had a “day off” so we decided to head to downtown Kowloon.  First stop, Tsim, Sha Tsui and the East Promenade where we were treated to a beautiful view of Hong Kong Island. 

IMG_2836 8-31-10.1IMG_2843 8-31-10.8.1

Hong Kong is known as the Pearl of the Orient (as the statue in the background symbolizes).  Yes, the weather is foggy…it has been raining every day…we head out with out umbrellas up and it is still very humid all day. Thankfully the rain has let up 10-11 each morning.  I love the picture below – I feel it accurately captures the old world/new world that I have witnessed in Hong Kong.

IMG_2852 8-31-10.9.2

  And of course, while we were there we had to get some pics at the Avenue of the stars.

IMG_2855 8-31-11.1IMG_2857 8-31-11.3

Our kids were excited to see a name they knew on the avenue.  However, I’m not sure Jackie Chan would be impressed to know that they only know him as the voice of Monkey in Kung Fu Panda :).

Next we headed to the HK Museum of History.  By this time it was 11:30 and we were hoping the museum would have a restaurant inside, as so many American museums do.  We were disappointed to discover that they do not, but the rest of the museum made up for it!  We really enjoyed this view into HK’s past as well as its many traditions.

IMG_2864 8-31-12.4 IMG_2865 8-31-12.5

About 2 hours later we emerged.  Starving.  We started heading “home” to our apartment with quickly wilting kids (humid heat+hunger definitely = wilting).  As we were walking, we were keeping our eye out for a place to eat, but that’s a bit more difficult than it sounds.  Even Ka Hei’s case worker has given us some mild cautions about where we eat, and with our kids in tow, it makes me a little nervous to just hop into a restaurant.  And then we saw an oasis ahead…

IMG_2872 8-31-13.6

   In all seriousness, I’m not much of a McD fan.  I’m happy with their salads, but since I’m the only one of my crew who will order a salad, I’d usually rather find somewhere else to eat.  But today, McD was a truly welcome sight.  It’s nice to have something familiar after you have been surrounded with everything that is UNfamiliar. Like the streets we had been walking.

IMG_2866 8-31-13IMG_2874 8-31-14.1

I felt like we walked Times Square times a bunch today and with all the new smells and sounds and language it can get a bit overwhelming.  We headed back to spend the rest of the afternoon (3 pm on) resting and relaxing at our apartment which worked out perfectly because it stormed a bunch of that time.  Don’t get me wrong, we are truly enjoying our time here, we just need more down time than normal to process everything & recover from jet lag.  And I know this experience is helping me have a greater appreciation for what Ka Hei will go through as he transitions into our life in the US.

6 comments:

  1. I love the photo of the skyscrapers in the background and the old boat in the foreground too. You mentioned the new smells, sounds, & language. Do you remember me saying I wish my photos came with a scratch & sniff? Now you know why! Dad & I never got sick, but I always felt just a bit of a stomach upset. The next time you get a chance, tell me what you think about their green tea (with the settlings in the bottom). It's not Lipton!! :) Enjoy every minute and know you're covered in prayer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far I've had cold green tea and hot red tea (traditional Chinese I was told by Gladys). Both were good. As you know well, I have a sensitive nose, so I have had to remind myself that the smells are part of the experience and just get over. There was one time, however, when I was so overwhelmed by the smells that I was searching for a way out and that was when we were lost in an indoor, but very old-style market...lots of fish, animal parts, incense, etc. sitting/hanging around. Wow! I was so glad to find a door and some fresh air!

      Delete
  2. I love Andrew texting (?) in the background of the "ave of the stars" pic :) And although I too am not a fan of McD's (ha!), I am very happy you found some comfort food for everyone :)

    Also, I'm glad you realize that this side of the trip will help you have more grace and compassion for Ka Hei on the other side of the trip... you might find yourselves visiting Pizza Hut & McD's a little more than usual :)

    We are praying and praying!!!! Mom said it well :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrew and I remind our kids of this fact (the "we are so not used to this" feeling) every so often as well. Last time Andrew added....but right now, you guys have us and each other. Ka Hei may feel like he has no one who understands. We need to be sure we are extra sensitive to that.

      Delete
  3. "I know this experience is helping me have a greater appreciation for what Ka Hei will go through as he transitions into our life in the US."

    This always gets me. There's SO much to process and become comfortable with. I'm praying for his transition...it's SO overwhelming on EVERY level. So praying that PEACE would trump fear, JOY would win over sadness, HOPE would replace despair, LOVE would conquer all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well said April...appreciating your prayers so much!

      Delete