Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Hong Kong Day 12– Gotcha Day

Today we made our regular commute to Ka Hei’s small group home for the last time.  When we arrived, he was ready to come with us….and we had a wonderful day, but I wonder what is going through his head right now.  He did not eat a good supper and just acted a bit different than the happy-go-lucky kid we have been with the last week+. 

….(20 minutes later)…

Well, now I know.  About 20 minutes ago Lucas came to us (he and Ka Hei had been playing together in their room) and said, Ka Hei just asked me, “Are you happy?”

I (Lucas) said, “Yes!  Are you?”

Ka Hei responded, “I am sad.  I miss home.”

Andrew & I immediately went into their room where he looked at us completely normally and since I’m sure we had concerned looks on our faces, he asked “What?”  I rubbed his back, we asked how he was…”ok,” he responded, and then smiled to reassure us.  He’s not going to say a word to Andrew and I.

Right now he is in the shower.  I have a bunch of pictures from our great day today (we went market walking)….but frankly, right now I don’t feel like posting them. 

I’d just like to ask for your prayers.  Prayers for wisdom.  Prayers that God will wrap His arms around Ka Hei & give him hope.  Prayers that he will let Andrew and I in, so that we can help comfort him as well. 

For a while (very possibly a long while) this is going to be hard.  Really hard. 

IMG_3220Ka Hei with one of his 3 sweet “Aunties” who have loved and cared for him the last 2 years.  Just one of the many people he is missing.  Lord Jesus, please help! 

8 comments:

  1. Praying for Ka Hei (and your whole family) right now! It's really really hard to feel homesick and yet feel like you should feel 'home' where you are as well. May Jesus comfort him and bring him peace!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Ellen! I appreciate your perspective and your prayers so much!

      Delete
  2. Praying for that sweet boy. So, so hard! And for you and the kids remember the promise of James 1:5 "If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask God, who gives generously to all without reproach, and it will be given him."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sandy - I work with Andrew. Just wanted to let you know you've got another person praying for your family. It's so great to hear about the wonderful things you are seeing and doing with your new son - what a blessing your family is to him and him to you. God is faithful and will carry you through the trials ahead as you travel back home. Blessings to your family
    Gwen Ziegler

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gwen - it has been an amazing journey!

      Delete
  4. Aw, sweet boy. This is definitely one of the hard things. And the truth is, you wouldn't want it any other way really. I mean, it's a GOOD thing that he misses where he was. That he was loved and cared for is a great thing! But the reality is that it's a process. I can remember one of the first few nights we had Misikir home I happened to check on him in the middle of the night(jetlag, so I was up) and he was just silently crying in bed. He was scared. And he was sad. He tried to stop, but just couldn't and it broke my heart. And as a mother there's not much to do, except lay down with him, rub his back, and tell him you love him(which at the time he didn't know English). However, fast forward 4 years and those things he misses are still highlights he talks about. They are amazing memories that I pray are burnt in his little mind. Praying that he'll let you guys in and be filled with peace. Sounds like you guys are on the right track- being there for him and helping him slowly open up. Praying!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Abby...I thought about you and the grieving you went through with Misikir. It's so hard to see & yet there is so much to be thankful for! Thanks for the "fast forward" & your prayers :).

      Delete