Monday, September 2, 2013

Hong Kong Day 4– Playing with Ka Hei and Dim Sum

This morning we met Gladys at the MTR station and journeyed to Ka Hei’s home.  It definitely felt different today than just a few days ago.  I didn’t have the same anxiousness/concerns as I did about how the first meeting would go.  Instead I was more joyful and excited for the opportunities the day would bring.  We spent the first hour of the morning talking with the woman who has cared for Ka Hei for the last 2 years.  She has a very kind disposition and was eager to tell us anything she could in order to help us know Ka Hei better.  I really appreciated the time she spent with us.  She even told us that Ka Hei had confided in her that he thinks he likes us!  HUGE PRAISE!! 
At 11:15, she asked us if we would like to go get Ka Hei at school, of course we said yes!  We headed outside and across the very large common area of his apartment group (estate), right up to the doors of his school…his school is a Baptist school.  Amazing, right?  God is so amazing.  For the last 2 years, God placed our son in a Baptist school with an active Child Evangelism Fellowship team so Ka Hei could begin to learn about who He is.  And now we get to water those seeds of faith and build on that foundation!  I love how God works :). 
We walked back to Ka Hei’s apartment and then he led Gladys and us to a nearby Dim Sum restaurant.  Gladys asked him to go to the counter and choose some dishes for us to try.  He was so sweet, wanting to pick out good things, joking with the cooks behind the counter, trying to explain a couple things to us in English and finally going to get Gladys to make the final choices.  When we sat down, Gladys started telling our kids what the foods were, but when she got to one of the dishes, I quickly stepped in and said, “You just need to try it,” knowing that if they knew exactly what was sitting in front of them, they might chicken out (pun intended).
IMG_2921IMG_2923
Have you guessed what the dish on the right is?  Chicken’s foot!  And yes, I tried it.  Not my favorite.  But because I was determined to try everything, I found several things I did like :). Of course, I expected to like this:
IMG_2922  The sweet and sour pork went over quite well :).  As did the rice, some very yummy bread balls with a tapioca-like filling and some other things that I truly can’t spell or explain very well.  Timothy, who kindly refused the chicken’s foot, even found a very hot sauce that he enjoyed drizzling over his rice, much to Gladys’ surprise.

Gladys is truly a gift.  As Ka Hei’s social worker, she isn’t just getting her job done, she cares deeply about what is best for Ka Hei and it shows in everything she does.  Today she brought a surprise to the table.  Chinese Chess :).
IMG_2928  IMG_2930
She purchased a travel board for Ka Hei to take with him to our home :).  So, for quite some time, Timothy and Andrew relied on Ka Hei to show them how they could and couldn’t move their pieces.  It was obvious Ka Hei enjoyed it and so did we!  If for no other reason than because he went back and forth between deep concentration and huge smile…and his smile is just contagious!
Next stop, the playground on the estate where all 5 of our kids did monkey bars, teeter totters, played tag and basically made us adults hot just watching them :).
IMG_2932IMG_2933
As we were walking back to the apartment, with Lucas, Ka Hei and Aylssa running just ahead of us, Gladys described what a busy weekend Ka Hei had.  He spent one day with a school case worker and one day with his previous social worker (she recently moved on to a different job).  She turned to me and said, “So many people love Ka Hei.”   We can see why…and we’re only beginning to scratch the surface.

13 comments:

  1. These posts FILL me.
    And I LOVE dim sum!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrew & I had only had Dim Sum once before in NYC and we went pretty "safe" with what we chose. Our kids were pretty wide eyed when the food came to the table. In Kayla's words, "We were all thinking, What is that? But Lucas asked it out loud." - that's my Lucas :P.

      Delete
  2. So much answer to prayer! I love the photos and reading about your day. That's so cool that Gladys (love her name...same as Grandma Mott's!) gave Ka Hei the Chinese Chess game. I can only imagine how much he liked teaching Timothy & Andrew how to play!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He loved teaching Timothy and Andrew and he loved beating them even more :).

      Delete
  3. Your pictures are starting to look more like China all the time! Thanks so much for taking us along on your adventure! We're anxious to meet the newest member of the family...he sounds like a neat and likeable young man. And that he's been attending a Baptist school is amazing. Watching God's plan unfold is a joy.

    ps...you only HOPE that was a chicken's foot...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, dad! "hope" it's chicken's foot... cruel! (but I totally cracked up anyway :))

      Delete
    2. I have never put "hope" and "chicken's foot" in the same sentence until just now.

      Delete
    3. Oh you guys are cracking me up!!!

      Delete
  4. I teared up reading about Ka Hei's sweet personality... we cannot wait to meet him!! And I love that he got to pick out your dim sum (yum yum!) and teach Chinese chess. So many wonderful memories are being made during this time. Much thanks to God and the planning He's gifted to Gladys :)

    We keep praying!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your prayers! Today was another wonderful day - I'll blog about it in a bit :). Gladys has been a true gift...we are so thankful for her!

      Delete
  5. Love your updates! And I have to say that growing up doing chicken butchering, I've eaten many parts of a chicken that most Americans have not. However, the chicken's foot is not one of those parts! You are much braver than I...I totally would have passed on that! And I'm so glad to hear that your time with Ka Hei is going well! Praying it will continue!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We're praying for your family. Hope you guys are having fun in HK. Derek & Winnie :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love following your journey! And we keep praying...

    ReplyDelete