Thursday, September 5, 2013

Hong Kong Day 7 - a wonderful, inside kind of day

Today was Ka Hei’s first day without school and our first full day without Gladys.  That meant we were in charge the entire day…while it POURED cats and dogs…all…day.  The area of Hong Kong we were in got more than 6 inches during the day today.  6 inches!!! 

We started by playing some games at Ka Hei’s apartment.  I’m so thankful he is a game player!  We are a mega game playing family and it is wonderful to know that he will truly enjoy that part of who we are :).  After some UNO and Rummikub, we began the journey south toward Tsim Sha Tsui & our lunch.  We ate at a fantastic Pizza restaurant in Harbor City which is a ginormous shopping mall complex right along the waterfront.  I am definitely no foodie, but the pizza we ate had to be among the absolute best I have ever had…probably the most expensive too.

IMG_2990IMG_2993 

As the pictures illustrate, we had the sillies today.  Andrew and I felt like we were walking a bit of a balancing act between allowing the 10 yr old boy silliness because the 2 were really connecting, and keeping the silliness under just enough control that no one would get hurt.

With our stomachs thanking the Italians, we aimed our crew through the downpour to the Hong Kong Space Museum.  It is a smaller museum than we were expecting, so, unfortunately we had to do parts of it twice and when even that did not fill the time before our Omnimax show started, I did something I really don’t like doing -

I handed them my (rented) smartphone and said, here, play a game.  The bench they were sitting on was small, so I headed to a bench just directly across the room, and when I turned back to look, I saw this.

IMG_3002

All 3 of them were swiping 1 finger each across the little screen, playing bejeweled together and having an absolute ball.  So precious!

It is all of the times like this that make me SOOOOO thankful to God for impressing upon our heart the need to bring our kids with us.  It is absolutely invaluable having them here.

Ka Hei has also started speaking to us, but especially to our kids, quite a bit. We had been told (cautioned really) that he was very reluctant to speak any English and we would need to really encourage him to speak.  While that was true the first couple days, at this point, if he understands the question, he will attempt to answer it :).  Huge praise!  Here are just a couple examples - This morning, Andrew asked him if he wanted to play a game as a partner to Lucas or by himself.  He replied, “I play myself.”  Today at the museum, an exhibit rotated Cantonese then English.  We watched it in Cantonese and when it was finished, we got up to leave and he quickly said, “No!  You stay!  In English!”  And I love that there have been numerous times that I have seen his head bent close to Lucas with the 2 of them happily talking back and forth :).  I have to think his case worker would be in shock!  The sweetest bit of language happened this evening.  First I need to back up a couple days.  When we went ice skating, the few times Ka Hei fell, I immediately put my hand on his back and said, “Are you ok?” The first time or two, he did not respond, but then he must have figured out that the above phrase was one of concern, because he then replied, “Ok.” or “I ok.” Back to tonight…when Lucas hurt himself a little bit, Ka Hei quickly went over to him and asked, “You ok?” with genuine concern on his face.

There are so many answered prayers right there, I’m just blown away.  I am truly so thankful!  Thankful God has been working in Ka Hei’s heart to bring him closer to us and more comfortable with us.  Thankful for his willingness to step outside his comfort zone to reach out to us.  Thankful for all of your prayers that all of this would happen!  Please keep praying.  I think we will have some hard days ahead of us….some final farewells that will be hard.  Please pray God is close to Ka Hei during those times and that God shows us how best to comfort him.

One final picture.  Remember how Ka Hei looked at Andrew like he was a bit off his rocker for asking to hold his hand?  Well tonight, he turned to Andrew and said, “You hold my hand?”  I quickly grabbed my camera and got this:

IMG_3007

Before you tear up you should probably know….he had pulled his hand out of his coat sleeve and was cracking up :).  Total stinker!

8 comments:

  1. I think I tear up every time I read your posts! I'm so thankful that Ka Hei will have you and Andrew for parents. And it sounds like you are all SO thankful to get him! It's been obvious that God has completely guided you to him and that you and Andrew have thought through(time and time again)all the changes and grieving that this boy will go through. We will continue to pray for wisdom in helping him and that you will all continue to bond with him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your prayers Chelby :). We are truly thankful! I'm especially thankful for all the steps Ka Hei is making toward us while we are here in HK. I will not be surprised if we make steps backwards a ways down the road after we get home, but at least we will all have this base point that we will know we can get back to and then move even closer together. (hope that makes sense!) Have you been given any ideas on your travel date?

      Delete
  2. Hi Sandy, I found your blog through Abby Kaufman's and am so glad I did! We live in Morton also and have 3 children. We are adopting a (soon to be 2 year old) little girl from China. We should be traveling November-ish and we can't wait! We are taking our kids with us also and it is so reassuring to hear how amazing it has been to have your kids with you. Thank you for sharing your journey!
    Andrea Dean

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Once we are back and settled, we would be happy to share more with you if you are interested. I can say that if God has put on your heart to take your kids, you will truly be blessed by doing so. God impressed so strongly on our hearts that our kids needed to go with us, that I was not willing to sign paperwork with an agency unless they would basically assure us that our kids could travel with us. It has not been without it's challenges (food has been tough on our 8 yr old), but we're so thankful they are here!

      Delete
  3. That is SO exciting that Ka Hei's talking! Wouldn't you love to know exactly how GOD is helping him?? You are being blessed each day. Even on a rainy day, there were lots of good moments.
    Have you introduced Ka Hei to peanutbutter & jelly yet? It will be interesting to see what he thinks about the combination.
    It looks like he has quite a sense of humor. :)
    Tonight at Becky's 60th birthday party I was talking to two of her sister-in-laws. They said they both had a son at about the same time, and both boys were born several years after the rest of the kids in their families. Those boys were so close, they were like brothers, but they said it was better, because they never fought! Wouldn't that be great if there were no fights?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Because we are not allowed to bring Ka Hei to our apartment yet, we have only eaten food at restaurants. He is definitely not picky and is willing to try anything. He has a very good sense of humor.

      Yeah, it would completely blow my socks off if there was no arguing...I'm not counting on that at all. I know we're talking cousins here, but that still sounds like some fuzzy remembering to me :).

      Delete
  4. I have been more amazed with each post! God is answering prayers so above and beyond what I had hoped... I can only imagine how wonderful it is for YOU!! And I have to say, that God could not have picked a more perfect, game-loving crew to be Ka-Hei's family :) It is all so AWEsome! Thanks so much for your continued posts! What a treasure these will be for you to look back on later :)

    Love you all! We keep praying!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for all your prayers on our behalf! I have continued praying for you as well! This trip has really been amazing.

      Delete